A Bemidji woman was charged on Jan. 3 with one count of child neglect after her 18-month-old boy overdosed.
According to the criminal complaint, officers responded to the home of 29-year-old Lakeisha Chaboyea on the report of the unresponsive toddler on New Year’s Eve.
The child was transported to Sanford Bemidji for further care and was later transported to Fargo.
While officers were on the scene, they overheard Chaboyea on the phone saying that the baby must have gotten a piece of tinfoil out of the trash.
An obituary confirmed the toddler died on Jan. 4.
Chaboyea reportedly told investigators she and her friends were smoking fentanyl with the tin foil three days prior but it was too strong so she put the foil in the trash without finishing it.
She said she took the foil from the toddler’s hand around 8 a.m. on Dec. 31, and then the child collapsed.
She then claimed she administered Narcan and the child revived and vomited but his condition worsened by about 1 p.m.
Chaboyea never called 911 or brought the child to the emergency room, in the five hours between the overdose and law enforcement’s arrival.
Lab results indicate the little boy also had methamphetamine in his system.
Chaboyea’s conditional bail was set at $50,000 and she’ll make her next court appearance on Jan. 23.