Today voters are expected to go to the polls for the Bemidji School District’s special election for an operating referendum. Polls will be open from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The district is asking to replace its existing $160 per pupil levy, which was set to expire in another four years, with a $460 per pupil levy, which would expire in 10 years.
For the home assessed at $150,000, that would amount to about a $57 increase in property taxes.
The district made a number of cuts to their budget earlier this year after an operating referendum ask was overwhelmingly rejected last year.
These cuts included the closure of Central Elementary School.
Polling locations for the school district’s special election today will be:
- Solway School for all voters within the City of Solway, City of Wilton, Lammers Township and Jones Township.
- Eckles Community Center for those who live in Liberty and Eckles townships.
- Roosevelt Community Center for those who live in Roosevelt, Buzzle, Alaska, Maple Ridge and Durand townships, as well as the portion of Nebish Township within the district’s boundaries.
- Northern Town Hall for those in Northern Precinct One and Two outside the city of Bemidji.
- Horace May Elementary for those in Fern, Rockwood, and Helga townships, and the portions of Hart Lake, Guthrie, Lake Hattie, Farden and Schoolcraft townships within the school district boundaries.
- J.W. Smith for City of Bemidji Wards 1 and 3
- Lincoln Elementary for City of Bemidji Ward 5 and those in Sugarbush, Ten Lake and Frohn townships.
- The Boys and Girls Club for City of Bemidji Wards 2 and 4
- Bemidji Town Hall for Grant Valley and Bemidji townships
- Port Hope Town Hall for Port Hope Township, Turtle Lake Township, City of Turtle River, and Turtle River Township