Smoke detectors credited with saving three lives from fire

Featured image was submitted by Bemidji Fire Department.

Smoke detectors are credited with saving three lives from a fire Sunday on Roosevelt Rd. SE.

The Bemidji Fire Department responded just after midnight on report of a mobile home on fire.

One occupant was transported to Sanford Bemidji with a burn injury, and the mobile home and contents were heavily damaged.

Two other residents escaped unharmed.

The fire is under investigation but is thought to be an accident.

Twenty-two firefighters were on scene for about three hours.

Fire Chief Justin Sherwood said the smoke detector that alerted the occupant of the blaze was installed in 2019 during the Fire Department’s “Sound the Alarm” campaign.

This annual event is a partnership with the American Red Cross to install smoke detectors at no cost.

Anyone in need of a smoke detector can contact the Fire Department at 333-8001.

© 2020 HBI Radio Bemidji, LLC d/b/a Paul Bunyan Broadcasting 502 Beltrami Ave NW, Bemidji, MN 56601 This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area