Electrical issue cause of early Sunday fire on Bemidji Ave. N.

The Bemidji Fire Department reports the cause of a fire early Sunday morning was due to electrical issues.

According to an updated release, 22 firefighters were on the scene at the 4000 block of Bemidji Ave. N. for 11 hours starting just after midnight Sunday with six pieces of equipment.

The investigation shows the occupant was awoken by the smoke detectors and called 911 after seeing the heavy smoke and fire from the basement.

The Bemidji Fire Department also issued reminders for electrical cord and power strip safety.

Most extension cord fires are caused by improper use or overloading, where multiple devices are plugged into one cord or power strips and extension cords are “daisy chained” together.

© 2020 HBI Radio Bemidji, LLC d/b/a Paul Bunyan Broadcasting 502 Beltrami Ave NW, Bemidji, MN 56601 This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area